Thursday, April 12, 2007

What are people?

This morning my thoughts rambled, as they are prone to do. My choice of music was Avril Lavigne's My World track, which worked some magic in that it cheered me up. So, in my ramblings this morning, I experienced some rather intriguing philosophical meanderings on the nature of people.

"People are inherently made of dichotomies, and yet can never be clearly divided into categories. The divide starts with the basics of male and female, old and young, black and white. But then the mind enters the field, and everything becomes complicated, creative and bromide, tired and inspired, experienced and naive. Really, there is no way to make a generalization about the whole species. Or so it appears.

In fact, all people have these terribly vague things called feelings or emotions, and the expression, or lack, of these things determines another's opinion of you. Some might call these feelings a fault, serving to interfere with the precision that could be man. Others say that these are the core of our being, the source of art and passion and war.

Yeah, I said it. War. Perhaps the most controversial product of human nature. It can be caused by greed, honor, or any of the other artificial idealistic constructs of the human mind. Either way, this phenomenon of violence is, in my opinion, the greatest flaw in our nature. It makes us worse than animals, who kill only for their own need, and worse than nature, which kills out of ignorance. Humanity is on the whole the most despicable thing on this earth, and that is why it deserves only what it has given to the world,
destruction.

However, Art is the dichotomous opposite of war. where one destroys, the other creates. One is profane and blasphemous, the other divine and valorous in it's beauty. In my opinion, art is the only redeeming factor in the equation of our existence. The existence of man."

There you have it folks, my thoughts on man. Where do I fit in all of this? Well, I'm an artist and philosopher, so I merely paint the truth, and attempt to discern it through the veil of lies that the world puts up to obscure the facts.

~ T

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You need to update your ideas, dude. :P At least you agree that war is wrong.