Sunday, April 1, 2007

The only thing to fear, is fear itself. Right?

The philosopher Lao-tzu once said "Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom. Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power." I read this quote years ago, and it still guides my thoughts when they are left without a greater influence.

Anyway, as the topic of this post suggests, today's blog is about fear. To be specific, my own two greatest fears. After many efforts to comprehend my own mind through self-contemplation, these two states of living have arisen as the least pleasant to me.

The first is the fear of missing out. It is my perpetual fear that I will not be there to hear the joke, or be unable to take advantage of an opportunity. This manifests in such simple things as desiring "limited edition" collectibles, and affects me in such profound ways as an unquenchable desire to be where the action is. Perhaps the greatest issue that arises from this fear is that I am prone to irrational courses of action in my efforts to avoid being left out.

My second major fear is harder to explain and understand. I am afraid of deletion, the void, and decay. You see, I save pictures, books, quotes, anything I can, if only to prevent it's eventual destruction. I find it incredibly frustrating that so little in this world is truly permanent, and this is why I fight so hard to preserve the beautiful, profound, and significant.

Well, there is today's insight. Until next time...

~ T

No comments: