Thursday, March 29, 2007

Good, or bad, Charlotte

So, Good Charlotte's new album, Good Morning Revival, came out on Tuesday. After listening to it for two days now, I feel ready to give my opinion to anybody who is actually reading this.

My first and primary note is that the album is flavorful, but an acquired taste. Some adjustment is required if you're coming straight from their older works. The instrumental parts have become more subtle, and the subject matter has continued the noticeable trend of darkness that started with The Chronicles Of Life And Death. Many of the songs struck a chord with me, and stirred up feelings I had tried hard to bury. After overcoming the initial impression however, I find the music to affect me in a more pleasant manner. Even though the subject is depressing, I find myself tapping my foot and humming along anyway. I recommend the album to those with a taste for subtle instrumental parts, grim reality, and "emo" music.

Just a note on the mention of emo. There are many conflicting definitions of this word, and I use it in varying context. In this review, it applies to the attitude of the songs towards misery and wearing black. If someone wears their sorrow as a badge and acts sad just to match their dark clothes, that's emo. Someone who is actually sad and rightfully so falls under a different category, in my opinion. So, understand that Good Morning Revival is certainly not positive music, and it carries with the stigma of depression for the sake of attention. I'm not insulting the music, but it's not for everybody.

No comments: